2014年10月31日 星期五

Upcoming Superhero Movies in the Order I Want to See Them

Between 2015 and 2020 there will be TWENTY NINE new superhero movies released between the four major studios.  That averages out to five or six a year!  Some of these movies, like Ant-Man, have been in the works for some time.  Others, like Captain Marvel, were only announced last week.  In the 80s, even a movie version of Batman was scoffed at, and in the next few years a host of second and even third string comic book characters will be getting their own, big budget adaptations.

More sobering is the fact that by 2020, when Green Lantern and Cyborg finally hit theaters, I'll be 45 years old.  It almost makes me glad that Marvel, Sony, Fox, and Warner Bros. didn't announce MORE movies.  For some strange reason, I just don't want to know which superhero hits the screen on my seventieth birthday.

I've divided these films into three categories: Might See It, Probably See It, and Gotta See It.  I'll start with the movies I'm least interested in, and work my way up from there.


Might See It

27. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (2018)

I have almost no interest in seeing this film.  Andrew Garfield is a great Spider-man, but they really need to do something different with this franchise.  As it is, I almost feel like I've seen this movie already.  By the time this comes out, we will have seen SEVEN Spider-man universe films, and unless they start taking some chances with the franchise, I doubt we'll see much of interest in the third Amazing Spider-man.

26. The Sinister Six (2016)

This will be the sequel to The Amazing Spider-man 2, which was by all accounts an exceedingly average movie.  None of the villains in Amazing Spider-man 1 or 2 were especially compelling, though perhaps Chris Cooper will have the opportunity to add some much needed gravity to this film.  If I hear that Venom is in this I'll be more excited about it.

25. Captain Marvel (2018)

I don't understand why Marvel fans have been clamoring for this character.  I've read some of the Captain Marvel comics, and I don't see what the excitement is about.  It's possible that after I hear about directors, cast, and so forth I'll be more interested in this film, but the character by herself does almost nothing for me.

24. Inhumans (2018)

The Inhumans have never been interesting comic book characters, but I have the feeling that Marvel is going to alter these characters to make them fit into its cinematic universe.  There are certainly some possibilities in the idea of a "sleeper cell" of superhumans, present throughout much of human history.  As with Captain Marvel, I'm waiting to hear more about it.

23. Third Wolverine Film (2017)

It will probably be OK.  I saw both X-men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine on DVD, and I doubt I'll go out of my way to see this one in the theater.  How old will Hugh Jackman be in 2017?  If he keeps this up he's likely to break a hip!

22. Green Lantern (2020)

The Green Lantern is rarely an interesting comic book character, though I liked what Darwin Cooke did with him in DC's "The New Frontier."  I think that limiting his powers is crucial if this is going to be an interesting movie.  The Ryan Reynolds version was a bit too godlike for my taste.

21. Justice League Parts 1 and 2 (2017 and 2019)

I am skeptical about both of these films, but I'll be happy to change my tune after Batman v. Superman comes out.  If Batman v. Superman is good, then I'll be much more optimistic about Justice League.  However good Batman v. Superman is, however, it will still be directed by Zack Snyder.

20. Ant-Man (2015)

I like Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, but I've never liked Ant-Man (or DC's The Atom, for that matter).  It will probably be a decent movie, but I doubt that it will blow my mind.  If it's more comedic that might be a good thing.

19. Fantastic Four 2 (2017)

I'm ranking this low because I know almost nothing about the Fantastic Four reboot, due out next year.  Fox has been VERY quiet about this film, and if that movie tanks this might not even get made.



Probably See It

18. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)

Call me crazy, but I didn't think Guardians of the Galaxy was all that great.  Yeah, it was kind of funny (chuckles, not belly laughs), but along the way they burdened the movie with too many characters, and also decided to throw physics out the window.  It will probably be a decent film, but I'm not dying to see it.

17. Fantastic Four (2015)

I like that Simon Kinberg wrote the script.  I also like that it will be more "scientific" in tone.  I just wonder why we haven't heard more about this film.  It is, after all, due out next year.  Josh Trank is a good director, but none of the cast members have me intrigued.  Kate Mara isn't half as hot as Jessica Alba, and Michael B. Jordan isn't half the actor that Chris Evans turned out to be.

16. Deadpool (2016)

I'm hoping that this is the movie that makes us forget about Green Lantern.  Deadpool is a great character, and they could have a lot of fun with this one.  The "test reel" shows a lot of promise, and Fox seems to know what it's doing with the X-men characters.  Could be very good.

15. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Good: Academy Award-winner Chris Terrio is writing the script.  Bad: Zack Snyder is directing, and Wonder Woman's costume looks terrible.  I'd give this movie a 50/50 chance, but of course like everyone else I've got to see it.  If this movie is good, DC/Warner Bros. has it made.  If this movie is bad, DC's cinematic universe could be in trouble.

14. "Female Spider-Man Universe Film" (2017)

I'm only ranking this so high because it might be a Spider-Woman film.  Of course I would rather that Sony DIDN'T make a Spider-Woman film, and left this character to Marvel, but I'll take whatever I can get.  Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew has always been one of my favorite comic book characters, and I'd love to see her on the big screen.  If this movie turns out to be Black Cat, then I'll wait for DVD.

13. The Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 and 2 (2018 and 2019)

I'm just wondering how Marvel is going to do justice to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline in cinematic form.  Yes, this will be two movies, but then again that storyline spans the galaxy, if not the entire universe!  It could be amazing, or it could be numbing.  I guess we'll see in 2018.

12. Aquaman (2018)

I've always liked Aquaman, and Jason Momoa should be terrific in the part.  I have the feeling he'll be appearing in Batman v. Superman, Justice League, or both, so I'll probably have more of an opinion on the enterprise in 2017.  As it is, Aquaman could be an interesting film.

11. Cyborg (2020)

I'd be equally happy with a Deathlok movie, but in this respect DC beat Marvel to the punch.  I'm glad we'll be seeing more superheroes of color, and Cyborg could be good.  He'll be in Batman v. Superman, so I'll have a stronger opinion after I see that.

10. Shazam (2019)

When I was little Shazam (a.k.a. Captain Marvel) was one of my favorite characters.  The Rock will make an excellent Black Adam, and I have the feeling that this movie will be a winner for Warner Bros.  Having Dwayne Johnson on board is a good sign.

9. Wonder Woman (2017)

No, I'm not a fan of Gal Godot, but I've wanted to see a Wonder Woman film for a long time.  Ideally they will have recast Wonder Woman by the time this film enters production, but I'm not holding my breath.  Wonder Woman has a great backstory, and she is one of the most unique comic book characters ever.


Gotta See It

8. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

I know a lot of people are down on Thor: The Dark World, but I liked that movie.  I am a big fan of Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor, and The Dark World more closely resembled that version of the character.  With Thor: Ragnarok they have an opportunity to even more closely approach that kind of Thor, and I look forward to seeing Surtur, one of the great Marvel villains, on the screen.

7. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

In the third Captain America we'll see Cap and Iron Man take sides over the superhuman registration act.  The Black Panther will also appear in this movie.  As a comic book event, I felt that Civil War was a bit over-hyped, but it's a compelling idea nevertheless.  And who knows?  Maybe Marvel will have the rights back to Spider-man by the time this enters production!

6. X-men: Apocalypse (2016)

I thought X-men: Days of Future Past was a great movie, and I look forward to more of the same from X-men: Apocalypse.  Like Surtur, the Red Skull, or Ultron, Apocalypse is one of the all-time great Marvel villains, and this movie should be quite a spectacle.  Hoping I'll see Cable in this film as well.

5. Suicide Squad (2016)

This is one movie that should be kid-unfriendly.  If you're not familiar with the comic book, the Suicide Squad are a group of supervillains coerced into working for the government.  I realize that Sony is trying a similar thing with its Sinister Six film, but most of Spider-man's foes aren't half as colorful as some of those found in the DC universe.  Putting the Joker in this movie would be an excellent (and lucrative) decision.

4. The Flash (2018)

The Flash has always been my favorite superhero, and I'm hoping to see a movie that does the character justice.  I've been watching the TV show, and while it's good it's not as good as a Flash movie could be.  If I was writing the script, I'd be going for either "Flash of Two Worlds" (Jay Garrick!) or something that involves the Reverse Flash killing Barry's wife/fiancee in the first act.

3. The Black Panther (2017)

Chadwick Boseman, the actor already cast as the Black Panther, is excellent.  If you don't believe me, check out the James Brown biopic "Get on Up."  A movie like this could really put the Marvel cinematic universe into an international context, and it will be great to finally see a black superhero (aside from Blade).  I'm hoping that the Wakanda of this film really mirrors the struggles and successes of modern Africa.

2. Doctor Strange (2016)

Doctor Strange?  Yes, Doctor Strange.  I've been wanting a Doctor Strange movie since forever.  Kevin Feige has spoken of incorporating some quantum theories/parallel dimensions into this film, and that gets me excited.  A Doctor Strange movie, if done right, could really mess with people's minds - in a good way.

1. The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

The preview for this movie is above.  This is the only movie listed here that has a preview as yet.  As much as I liked The Avengers, I am even more anxious to see this film.  Ultron is their greatest villain, and this movie won't have the burden of explaining how all these heroes met each other in the first place.  Should be excellent.


沒有留言:

張貼留言